19.12.09

Saturday at the Russian Market

HELLO, MOTO



So, I went to the Russian market today,


and, at the Russian Market, if you even walk past a vendor, they say, "Lady, you like somting?"


WELL. I happen to be getting quite good at either ignoring their hawk-like preying skills or simply saying, "Ahte, Ah Cuhn." Which means, 'no thank you'. I ended up walking through the part of the market where the tailors are set up tailor upon tailor. I almost made it all the way to the end without anyone saying a word to me. I was doing such a good job of not making eye contact with any of the tailors, knowing they would plead for my business, and somehow suck me into having them make something just for me. Who doesn't want that!? Especially because I can't find a dress I like anywhere in the market. And who doesn't want a nice dress for the Christmas season!?


Then it happened... A young woman in the 'Asian Tailors' booth said kindly in broken English, "I want to make you something". Oh my. After looking for a good couple hours for a dress in a hot, crowded, steamy market, after being bombarded with questions and offers and desperate pleads for me to buy things, and after being so strong in saying no, I finally caved. And I'm having a dress made just for me. I picked out the colour, the material, she took my measurements, and I drew a picture of what I wanted. Oh my.





I pick it up on December 23rd! I requested that I have it for Christmas. It's red. How nice.


Ha! Well, I'm actually really excited for my custom made red dress. I think I might just love it.





I got a package from my Sister!!!! (THANK YOU SO MUCH SARA!!!!!) and a card and some photos from my Aunt!! (THANK YOU AUNTIE M!!!!!) It made my day!! awww... I just love getting things in the mail. It might be one of my favourite things. Speaking of favourite things, after experiencing my first ever side saddle moto ride, I just love it! Today I did it twice on the way to the market and on the way home. Except this time Armin shared the moto with me, so on the way there I sat perched on the very back, which was terrifying. I was almost positive I would fly of. Don't forget the fact that most of the roads here are far from paved, with big craters and lumps and rocks...mmm...so safe. And my knees almost got chafed in the crazy traffic. AHH! Why am I insane? But on another note, I sat in the middle of the moto on the way home, between the driver and Armin. That was so much more safe. Good grief! haha...I liked the moto driver. He kept laughing at me, but he was friendly. I got a picture of us while he was driving!





I met a western man in the market today, who randomly asked me where I was from and what I was doing. He was from Oregon orrrr... something like that, and he and his wife, he told me, have lived her for around 3 years. He's a pastor of a Baptist church nearby. I told him I'm with YWAM and I'm here doing my outreach. He seemed pretty displeased...or something...he handed me a track about salvation bahahha. And he invited me to church, and said, "We won't make you speak in tongues, and we won't make you raise your hands...because you know, all of that stuff is completely irrelevant to the bible...you know what I'm saying?" At first I had no idea what the heck he was getting at, so I just chuckled and said "okay then," and smiled kindly and we both turned and walked away. Then I realized that he was totally trying to see if I was a crazy Holy Spirit person because I mentioned I'm with YWAM. I forgot that around these parts YWAM often has a bad name due to someone in YWAM leadership that may have gone off track a little here and there within Cambodia. I'm supposed to say University of Nations, but I'm so used to YWAM. Shucks. I could've used that moment to talk more in depth with him. But he was just one of the guys, you know? A middle-aged western man, all sweaty and eager to change the world's opinion to match his own. RAWRRR. God, please help me not to judge others. That isn't my right.


And it wasn't even a big deal to me then, I just kept going about my business. So... now I'm just blabbing...





Anyway, that was my day for the most part. I found a camera cord for only 2 dollars! yippee!








Tonight we go to Ruth's for dinner. Hopefully we can find her house. Sometimes things get really lost in translation. Tok tok drivers are hilarious!!





More later,





xx jan

2 comments:

  1. I don't know why it went all wierd and spacey like that. hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. you make me laugh....OHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

    ReplyDelete