14.10.12

A Life of Thanks

In a world and specifically a culture of instant gratification, of comfort, and of convenience, we've become extremely demanding and full of complaint at any particular  moment things don't go our way. When things get hard, it's easy to forget the blessings, to look past the richness, the beauty, the abundance. I know that personally, I get tunnel vision and tend to only see what's right before me... and if it's not good, then it feels like life just sucks. But the truth is, life doesn't suck. Life is great. God is faithful, and I have uncountable and abounding things to be thankful for. Sometimes, in the hard times, it just takes some reminding.
I recently read a book called 1000 gifts -- an experimental and BEAUTIFUL book examining the ways that the heart needs reminding, that giving thanks is a lifestyle, that being thankful changes our hearts, brings healing, brings joy, brings hope.. Over the span of the book, the writer wrote down, everyday, a few things that she was thankful for. Even the littlest things, because those are often what bring happiness, and unfortunately they are the first to be overlooked.
Whenever I meet someone who smiles not because life is easy but because there are innumerable reasons to be grateful, I remember those people. I admire those people. And I desire to be that way.

I know that I'm often saying I'm going to do this or that, and I'm starting a new project, or travelling to some place interesting... and it rarely ever comes to pass... I  would like to try THIS. Writing down, consistently every day, a few things that I'm thankful for. And when I have the impulse to complain or to fret over something seemingly hopeless or horrible, GIVE THANKS instead. I desire to be present -- awake -- in every moment, to see the things that I would normally dismiss as insignificant. I want to take a deeper look at the tiny moments, the little things that add up into great things. And hold loosely all the stresses that the world offers.

So for today, I will give thanks for:
A church community that not only LOVES God, but LIKES Him, and gets excited about Him!
The smell of rain
A hug at just the right moment
A job that I love

More to come,

x

5 comments:

  1. This is cool, Janna.

    I have been participating in the 31 Amazing Days challenge - just doing something amazing (or in my case noticing something amazing) every day this month. I have been blogging a little about it each day - http://wonderingjourney.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know someone who after reading that book decided to do the same thing. Every day she journals in a book of what she was thankful for that day - that she normally wouldn't notice. It changed her from the inside out!

    Today, I give thanks for YOU! I have never met anyone that is as sweet, creative, inspiring, joyful, lovely, breathtakingly beautiful, and the list goes on and on - as YOU

    ~Sharon P

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my prayer journal I often write what I am thankful for. I think it helps put perspective into our lives. At the end of a touch day we can still find so much we are thankful for. Love you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too am doing that...I love that book. It was life changing for the way I see things. Thanks for reminding me once again how precious life is. love, mama.

    ReplyDelete