23.1.10

Team Vacation!
















Siem Reap, Cambodia.
A few weeks ago, my team took a week off from Daughters and headed, by bus, to the capital of Cambodia, Siem Reap. Around 6 hours from Phnom Penh. Probably the craziest bus ride of my life. The driver was insane! But, alas, we made it safely and soundly to our cozy little hostel on the outskirts of the city, called Earthwalkers. It had a pool! It was a little...on the green side, and I don't mean economically. But it was refreshing. We also had air conditioning in our rooms, and OH MY GOODNESS!! I was cold! It was amazing. Oh, and hot water showers. mmmm. That was so good.

We stayed in Siem Reap for 3 days, just hanging out and having fun. We saw the famous Angkor Wat temples -- stunning! Sensed a real emptiness and spiritual heaviness in that place, as beautiful as they were.

After seeing most of the temples, or at least a good amount of them, our Tuktuk driver took us to his village in Siem Reap. We didn't really know what was going on, but we ended up at an ophanage. I have to say that this day has by far been the best day I've had since being here in Cambodia. We spent time with the kids at the orphange, and they welcomed us instantly with giggles and smiles and loads of energy! It was a pretty wierd situation though, our tuktuk driver randomly bringing us to this place. The orphanage was a series of shacks, with a big stage-like structure in the center of the place. Apparently the kids learn singing and dancing, and use that as a means of income for the orphanage. One of the staff members sat down with us and informed us of everything they do there... apparently they teach khmer, reading, writing, mathematics, and basic morals. The classrooms, however, we basically wood boards creating a sort of lean-to, and there were only a couple desks in the "room". The conditions of this place were very rough, and extremely heart breaking. We were told that this place gets no income, no help from the government, or any NGOs, and is completely off the radar. It's in horrible condition.

Anyway, we spent a few hours there, first talking with the staff, and asking questions, then the kids sang and danced for us, and then invited us onto the stage to dance with them!! Ha! so random! It was amazing, though, and the kids were so talented! I had so much fun, and took tonnes of photos with the kids. I gave my camera to a couple of them to take pictures. They loved it!! It was so amazing to spend time with these kids, and hold their hands and hug them, and simply love on them. While I've been here, and over a series of experiences, God has totally been giving me a heart for kids that I've never had before. My heart just broke for that place and those kids!

Well, we got back to Phnom Penh and asked some questions about this orphanage. Turns out it's a scam, and it's no secret that those kids are being used to make money, and there's a lot going on there that really needs attention!!!! No one is doing anything about it. I was completely gutted when I found out, but my team and I all suspected something was wrong even when we first stepped foot on the property. I guess it's just a glimpse of the real world, which is good, I suppose for someone as naive as myself. It's a learning experience, for sure. I am just praying that the tables will turn and doors will open for this place to be transformed from the inside out. Those children are highly at risk. Something most certainly needs to happen.

There's one little girl that I have had on my heart to continue praying for. I have had some amazing times of intercession for this little girl, and I was looking at pictures that I took while I was there, and just burst into tears when I saw one of her. She's stuck here on my heart.
Anyway, that was the first little bit to our three part team vacation. While in Siem Reap, we also walked around a bit, went out to eat, went the Old Market, and had some laughs. It was a good time for sure!! Unfortunately Armin was super sick the whole time and missed out on Angkor Wat AND the orphanage, but she lives in Thailand and can make a trip whenever she likes. I guess that's the bright side. Poor thing.
I was so suprised that I wasn't sick during this week! What are the chances!? It was nice to get away from feeling sick. I had a lot of fun in Siem Reap but my heart broke for that city. I'd like to go back there some day. There's innumerable possibilities here in Cambodia. I feel like Siem Reap is oozing with oppurtunities for change.
It's so easy to become overwhelmed. Even just driving through the streets of the city, and seeing the desperation and poverty around me, I can't help but feel like this place is a prison! It's hopeless and struggling to stay alive.
But I know God is moving. His people need to follow!! In the midst of the mess, God's beauty is still loud and clear. In the sweet generousity, the sincere gestures, the friendliness and care shown by these people... it is beautiful. The people here are precious. I'm excited to see what God has for this country.

more very soon!
xx Janna










4 comments:

  1. i'm glad you got a great vacation with no sickness! and i love your photos. i can't wait to see all of them when you get home!!!
    i love that you have such a big heart for these people and this place. your prayers are so important!
    love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go to my wall or you tube and listen to the story behind "God of the City" by Bluetree!! Let it be your anthem while you are still there!! I'll join ya'll in praying this for Cambodia.
    xoxo
    <3 Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your photos too....they speak for themselves. I can see why you would fall in love with these kids when you see those faces.
    I'm excited to see how God works this all out in your life. Prayer is the work.
    love you,
    mama xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...oh ...and I love Dana's face in the team picture...hahah

    ReplyDelete